GLENDALE, WI (WTAQ) - The Sprecher Brewery in suburban Milwaukee was evacuated for almost two hours late Wednesday, after elevated levels of carbon monoxide were found throughout the plant.
The CO was discovered after an accident in which an employee was hit by several kegs that fell.
North Shore firefighters and ambulance crews responded to the mishap around 4 p.m. at the Glendale brewing facility – and a carbon monoxide alarm attached to one of their medical kits had sounded.
Paramedics discovered elevated CO levels in much of the plant, so authorities evacuated it.
Paramedic Dan Tyk said exhaust from a fork-lift was the apparent source of the carbon monoxide – and the brewery was aired out before workers returned a little before 6 p.m.
The injured employee suffered non-life-threatening injuries, and was taken to a hospital for treatment.