MERRILL, WI (WSAU) - A Friday afternoon fire caused heavy damage for a Merrill duplex. Firefighters were called at 2:15 p.m. to 2108 Sturdevant Street, where they found smoke originating from the basement on the west side of the building.
Merrill firefighters entered the structure and quickly extinguished the fire inside. No one was home at the time, however, the family’s pet perished in the fire.
The duplex suffered heavy smoke damage. Fire Captain Mike Drury says their preliminary investigation indicates the fire started around the flooring by the dryer vent.
He says it was a newer structure, well sealed, and that made it hard for the fire to burn hot enough to be quickly detected. A neighbor thought she may have seen smoke earlier, but didn’t call 9-1-1. Drury advises people not to hesitate to call 9-1-1 if youthink someone’s house may be on fire.