Looking at this weekend its hard to argue that UWSP isnt the best Division 3 sports school in the country. Lets break it down.
* The mens basketball team is ranked #1 in the country and is hosting a NCAA D-3 Sweet Sixteen sectional this weekend. The Pointers (28-1) face Emory (18-8) tonight at 8pm at Quandt Fieldhouse. The other game features UW-Whitewater vs Texas-Dallas.
* The womens hockey team earned an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament and are hosting a first round game tonight against St. Thomas at 7pm at Ice Hawks Arena.
* The mens hockey team (20-5-2) is also in the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 16 years as they will play St. Thomas in Saint Paul Minn on Saturday evening. They are the second leading scoring team in the nation and and rank in the Top ten in both offense and defense.
* The Pointer mens track team will send one relay and one individual to the NCAA Indoor Track Championships this weekend in Lincoln Nebraska. Nick Geiger qualified in the hetahalon with the 8th best score in America this year.
* The womens track team is sending four members to the Championships in Lincoln this weekend as well. Samantha Hess and Shannon Burke both qualified in the pole vault. Ana Breit is in the mile and seeded 11th. Maggie Martin qualified for the weight throw.
* The baseball team is in Florida for their annual spring trip. They are ranked 4th in the country in the pre-season poll and are also the pre-season choice to win the WIAC.
and I havent even mentioned the UWSP will host the NCAA D-3 womens basketball Final Four next weekend at Quandt Fieldhouse.
I cant imagine that there are many if any schools can can come close to matching that type and success. Congrats to all involved for raising the bar so high and good luck this weekend.
I'll be at the hoops game tonight and tweeting live reports at @tomking50.
DC Everest, Merrill, Athens and Wausau Newman dropped their girls basketball sectional matchups last night. The only central Wisconsin survivors are Neillsville, Adams-Friendship, Auburndale and Owen-Withee.
The Badgers will take on Minnesota tonight in the Big Ten Tournament. You can hear the game on WSAU with pre game programming at 4:30.
Yovanni Gallardo will be the Opening Day pitcher for Milwaukee for the fifth time. That is a Brewer record.
Friday Music News
Neil Young is raising money for a new music service. Its called Pono and it is different from other music services in the quality of the sound. young is famous for hating the sound of MP3's or cd. He's got a number of his musical friends on board. You can get more info at ponomusic.com.
Keith Richards is writing a childrens book and his daughter is doing the illustrations. The book is called Gus & Me: the Story of My Grand-dad and My First Guitar. It's based on Richards relationship with his grandfather Theodore who was a jazz musician. Its due out Sept 9th.
The Billboard Top Ten for Money Makers this year include several classic rockers. The lst includes tours, music sales, publishing,digital music and video streaming royalties. Bon Jovi, Rolling Stones & Fleetwood Mac are all on the list.
Former Hendrix bassist Billy Cox is putting together a tribute tour to feature the music of the late guitar legend. Cox and Double Trouble drummer Chris Layton will be the rhythm section for a number of rotating guitarists which include Jonny lang, Kenny wayne Shepard, Doyle Bramhall, Zakk Wylde, Dweezill Zappa, Buddy Guy, Brad Whitford, Robby Krieger, Rich Robinson and others. It started this week and will be at the Riverside Theater in Milwaukee on Sunday night and also on April 4th. They will also play the State Theater in Minneapolis on April 8th.
Led Zeppelin is re-releasing its first three albums with all kinds of extra tracks, outtakes and live performances. It will also include a hard cover book with rare photos and memorobilia.
Songs of The Day (from my I-pod)
Moonchild-Rory Gallagher (1976) a kick-ass tune from the Irish blues-rock guitarist
Moonlight Feels Right-Starbuck (1976) a classic 70's one-hit wonder .Gotta be the only big hit that included a xylophone solo.