If anyone had told you on Friday that the Badger offense would only score 7 points on Saturday or that Mark Sanchez and Robert Griffin III would have better games than Aaron Rodges on Sunday they probably would have cut off whatever you were drinking. But that's how it shook out in a terrible weekend for area football fans. It started Friday night as both East & Everest got pasted and West lost a heartbreaker on a late field goal. Saturday the Wisconsin offense was non existent for most of the game in a 10-7 loss to the Oregon State Beavers. The loss even dropped the Badgers out of the Top 25. And then there wwas yesterday. The Packers fall behind early ...come back to make a game of it and then watch the offense sputter again as Aaron Rodgers throws an untimely interception. Charles Woodson says he's not concerned about the play of the defense. Well, that may be but the fans have enough concern to go around. Missed assignments and penalties and a secondary that is going to be a problem against better offensive teams than this.
Other NFL weirdness
* the replacement refs were terrible...not only bad calls but missed calls. It's hard to figure why the NFL would continue this charade over what amounts to pennies on their bottom line.
* great debut by Robert Griffin III. He's a playmaker.
* Mark Sanchez and the Jets score 48 point after struggling to score at all in the pre-season. This might have been the biggest head-scratcher of the day.
*Matt Stafford and Mike Vick shake off bad days to rally their teams to victories.
* Peyton Manning shows he's still got it. The Broncos could be very good...the Steelers could be very bad.
* Who needs the pre-season? Maurice Jones Drew rushes 19 times for 77 yards and Adrian Peterson 17-84 and two touchdowns after no work in the pre-season at all.
* after as bad a ten minutes as you'll ever see, the Bears hammer the Colts. Green Bay's defense may be in for a long night on Thursday.
* Russell Wilson finds out the regular season is harder than the pre-season. He comes up short in his debut.
Songs of The Day (from my I-pod)
Keep Searchin-Del Shannon (1964)Another of the best falsetto's in pop muisc...Shannon's songs evoke the early 60's pre-Beatles era as well as any.
Keep The Customer Satisfied-Simon & Garfunkel (1970) a bouncy little cut about a man's troubles from the Grammy Award winning "Bridge Over Troubled Water" LP.