The most popular New Year's resolution is to lose weight. It turns out that it's also a popular resolution with some of your favorite country stars.
Carrie Underwood has struggled with her weight believe it or not. She says, "Genetics are not exactly on my side. Once I got out of high school I packed on about 10 pounds, and once I was on American Idol I packed on another 10 pounds...I carry all my stress weight, all my potato chip weight around my mid-section. You've got to fight genetics sometimes." Carrie says that she and her fiance Mike Fisher enjoy working out together and Carrie is committed to a healthy diet. She opts for a local grocery store over catering while she's on tour. While she's not on tour she works with a personal trainer and says he's kicking her butt. "I need it. Especially with a tour coming up and a wedding to look good for." Still no date announced for their wedding.
Since most of us don't have the luxury of a personal trainer to work out with every day here are some tips that may help you drop some pounds in 2010:
- Take three bites less of everything. This will typically shave off 100 calories.
- Go ahead and order pizza, but cut the meat toppings and cheese.
- Watch less television. Previous research shows that people who watch more than two hours of TV a day tend to be overweight. Or catch your favorite show on the treadmill or while core training on a balance ball.
- Instead of cooking with oil or butter try nonstick sprays.
- Get plenty of sleep. Adults should get between 6 and 8 hours of sleep 8 being ideal.
- When you're making homemade goodies, cut the sugar in the recipe by 1/3 you won't even notice the difference.
- Hungry? Snack on fruit and veggies instead of candy and potato chips. Do this once per day and you'll save a whopping 100 calories.
- Thirsty? Drink water.
- When possible, stand instead of sitting. Fifty minutes of standing actually burns up to 100 calories!
- Cut your portion size the easy way: use smaller plates. (measuring portions is always beneficial too)