How often have you tried a quick sugary snack to boost your energy? It’s time to rethink that choice—a new study found that protein, not sugar, activates the brain cells that keep you alert and burn calories. So…whether you want to get off to a good start in the morning, or need to break out of an afternoon slump, try one of these high protein combos:
- A toasted whole grain waffle + 3 tablespoons cottage cheese + a sprinkle of cinnamon
- A packet of instant oatmeal + 1 tablespoon of almond butter
- Thawed, frozen raspberries + ½ cup Greek yogurt + 2 tablespoons high-fiber cereal
Your waistline will thank you, and you’ll avoid that low you hit after a sugary snack.
And, while we’re at it, avoid these 'breakfasty" snacks at all cost:
- Sugary cereals
- Muffins—you don’t even want to know how many calories those things have!
- The breakfast fry up, sausage, bacon, eggs—yes there’s a lot of protein but that much grease will never energize you!
- Pancakes. Sadly, there’s no healthy way to enjoy a pancake.